Houston Debt Defense Attorney
These are challenging times, and many Texan’s are struggling with the weight of financial hardship. Increasing costs, lost time at work, medical emergencies – these are just a few of the factors that can suddenly change your financial situation. At Daic Law, we help clients everyday who are struggling despite paying their bills on time and being financially stable for years. When the unexpected happens, it is easy to feel overwhelmed like you are drowning in financial hardship.
The good news is that you are not alone. And there ARE things you can do to resolve debt and improve your financial stability.
Types of Debt Defense Cases We Handle
At Daic Law, our Houston debt defense attorney helps clients with many types of debt defense cases. Contact us if you need legal assistance related to:
Credit Card Lawsuits
If you are being sued by a credit card company, we can help you fight back. We can help you fight the lawsuit and secure a favorable outcome. Our debt defense lawyer in Texas knows the tactics that credit card companies use, and can help you fight back.
Debt Collection Lawsuits
Debt collectors may file a lawsuit against you to collect the money you owe. Sometimes, however, debt collection lawsuits are filed inappropriately or against clients who don’t actually owe the debt. We can help you protect your rights and successfully resolve your lawsuit.
If you are unable to afford the payments a debt collector or creditor offers, we can help you negotiate. We are often successful at reducing the total debt amount, obtaining a lower interest rate, and securing a more affordable payment plan.
If a creditor has obtained a judgment against you, it is important to resolve the matter before damage is done to your credit and livelihood. A judgment can result in garnished bank accounts and seizure of certain assets. We can defend you against a judgment and find suitable options for resolution.
How We Help You Fight Debt and Debt Collectors
At Daic Law, we are dedicated to helping you find debt relief that works for you and your family. We understand that every situation and case is different. We believe that each client deserves an individualized approach to debt relief. Here are some of the ways that we help you fight debt and debt collectors:
- We help you understand your legal rights as a consumer, as well as the laws that creditors must abide by.
- If you are being sued by a debt collector or debt buyer, we will help you respond and find the best option for resolution.
- We will explore all possible defenses that may be applicable to your case.
- If your case requires appearing in court, we will appear on your behalf unless absolutely necessary. If you must appear, we will help you every step of the way.
- We will carefully investigate your situation to determine if the debt collector or buyer is violating your rights or the law.
Contact Our Houston Debt Defense Attorney
At Daic Law, we understand how frustrating and stressful debt-related matters are. Our team is dedicated to providing comprehensive and compassionate legal assistance. If you need help with debt defense, contact us today for a free consultation. We are here to help Texan’s protect their rights and stand up against unfair and unjust debt collection tactics.
Learn more about debt relief by calling us at 877-893-6040, or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Are debt collectors allowed to harass me?
No. The Texas Debt Collection Act prohibits debt collectors from doing the following:
- Threatening violence or any criminal acts
- Using obscene or profane language
- Falsely accusing you of fraud or other crimes
- Threatening to arrest you or seize property
- Calling anonymously or making repeated calls
- Making collect calls without disclosing their identity
- Sending you documents disguised as legal or court documents
- Trying to collect more than what you owe or agreed to
Can I dispute a debt?
You can dispute a debt by contacting the debt collector via certified mail (we recommend getting a return receipt). The debt collector then has 30 days to investigate and determine if the debt is correct. If so, they can resume collection activities. If not, they must notify you of any changes they report.
How long do I have to respond to a debt-related lawsuit?
In Texas, most debt-related lawsuits require a response within 20 days plus the following Monday from when you receive the summons. You should count weekends and holidays just to be safe.
Can I lose my home and property because of debt?
In Texas, your primary residence, or homestead, cannot be seized in order to pay your debt. However, if the debt is related to the purchase of the home, home equity loans, or taxes. In these cases, your home may be potentially at risk and you should contact a debt defense lawyer as soon as possible.