Harris County Debt Defense Lawyer
We live in challenging times. Every day, our Harris County debt defense lawyer speaks with clients who have found themselves suddenly in financial dire straits. Even with a history of paying bills on time, a sudden job loss or medical emergency can have a tremendous impact on your ability to do so. Suddenly, you may find yourself relying on credit cards or loans to make ends meet.
If you feel like your financial situation is spiraling out of control, contact Daic Law. Our debt defense lawyer can help you understand your options for debt relief and resolution. We have represented hundreds of individuals and families facing debt collection and/or debt collection lawsuits.
How Daic Law Works for You
Daic Law is a civil litigation and debt defense law firm serving clients across Texas. Our team provides legal guidance on debt defense matters including:
- Debt Collection Lawsuits: If you are being sued by a debt collector, it is important that you respond to the lawsuit. There are various ways that we can defend you against a lawsuit and ensure your rights are protected.
- Credit Card Collection Lawsuits: Credit card companies sue thousands of people every year. We will obtain all of your records to check for errors, which can destroy the case against you.
- Debt Negotiation: Your debt may increase due to fees and accruing interest. We negotiate with creditors to reduce or eliminate these fees so you owe less.
- Medical Debt: Medical costs is one of the most common causes for debt. Our team can help you negotiate medical costs and find a suitable payment arrangement that you can afford.
- Student Loan Debt: If you have student loan debt, you may be very confused about the best options for repayment without accruing exorbitant interest. We can help you find the best option for repayment that works for your budget.
- Judgment Defense: If a creditor has obtained a default judgment against you, you may be facing garnishment of your bank account or a lien on your home. We can help you defend your rights in court and find options for better resolution.
Our goal is to get your case dismissed. Alternatively, we work to create as many options as possible to reduce your debt and find a suitable payment arrangement. We can’t promise or guarantee you the outcome of your case, but we can promise that we will do everything possible to protect your rights and secure the best outcome possible.
Contact a Harris County, Texas Debt Defense Lawyer
If you need help sorting through a difficult debt matter, contact Daic Law today. We have years of experience helping clients resolve or eliminate their debt. Find out how we can help you with a free consultation with our Harris County debt defense lawyer.
Our office is located in the City of Houston, but we help clients throughout the State of Texas. Speak with our Harris County debt defense lawyer today by calling 877-893-6040, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer a free consultation to every potential client, so you have nothing to lose.
Can I dispute a debt?
Yes! You can dispute a debt by contacting the debt collector via certified mail (we recommend getting a return receipt). The debt collector then has 30 days to investigate and determine if the debt is correct. If so, they can resume collection activities. If not, they must notify you of any changes they report.
What are defenses against a debt collection lawsuit?
By mounting a defense against a debt lawsuit, you are telling the court that there are reasons why the plaintiff (the person or entity filing the lawsuit) should not win. There are several defenses, including:
- The plaintiff cannot prove their claims
- You do not owe the money
- You believe the amount of the debt is incorrect
- The debt is the result of stolen or mistaken identity
- You are being sued even though you were only an authorized user on a credit card
- You were a cosigner but did not receive notice
- The creditor filed a lawsuit after the statute of limitations
- You paid some or all of the debt but have not received credit to your account
- You do not have a business relationship with the plaintiff who is a debt buyer and not the original creditor
- Your debt was relieved through bankruptcy
- An auto dealer did not make accurate disclosures
- Improper service due to the plaintiff not serving a Summons or Complaint, or serving the Summons or Complaint at a date where you could not file an Answer
These are some of the common defenses used to protect consumers in debt lawsuits. There may be other defenses available to you depending on the details of your case.
Will I have to go to court?
Most debt defense clients do not have to physically attend court. At Daic Law, our debt defense lawyers appear on your behalf. If you do have to appear, we will help you prepare in advance, and will be with you every step of the way.
Will I have to file bankruptcy?
Not necessarily. Our team will carefully evaluate your situation and determine what your best options are for debt relief. If bankruptcy is the best option, then we can help you determine which Chapter to file, and can walk you through the process.